HW 4, Problem 2, Number 2

Chelsi Whitely
I am still confused on how to set up question number two in problem two. I looked at the other threads and the compliment rule, but I am still confused. Would we just do 1-(1/9) since the probability of a child having high levels is just 1/9 chances?

Re: HW 4, Problem 2, Number 2

Taeho Kim
Administrator
Hi Chelsi,

Try to follow the steps and let me the part you are stuck.

i) Write down all the possible outcomes of this binomial random variable.
It should be {0, 1, 2, 3, ..., 14, 15}.
Again, these are possible values X can have.

ii) Then what is the event we are interested in?
It is {X>1}, right?
Now, circle all the outcomes which satisfy the condition X>1.
It should be part of all the possible outcomes above.

iii) If we define it A, i.e., A={X>1}.
Then, what is the A complement?
Can you think of the outcomes in the A complement?
Those are simply the outcomes outside of the circle in ii).

iv) If you can find out the outcomes,
Pr[A complement] should be simple from the binomial formula.

v) Lastly, Pr[X>1] = Pr[A] = 1 - Pr[A complement].

Re: HW 4, Problem 2, Number 2

Chelsi Whitely
Ok so I have 14 possible outcomes for A and 2 possible outcomes for A compliment. But I'm confused at the part using the binomial formula. I know n=15 and so does j=14 and p=1/15? I don't understand where to get p for the formula and if these numbers are right.

Re: HW 4, Problem 2, Number 2

Taeho Kim
Administrator
Okay. We are almost there.

{A complement} = {X<=1} = {X=0} or {X=1}.

What you have to do is using the formula twice.
Take a look at the formula carefully and find out the two j's
you have to plug in to the formulas.

Re: HW 4, Problem 2, Number 2

Chelsi Whitely
So, j=0 one time doing the formula and j=1 the other time doing the formula? And p=1-A complement which is: p=1-0.9333=0.066 since A=14/15=0.933. Is all this correct?

Re: HW 4, Problem 2, Number 2

Chelsi Whitely
Oh wait. p=1-A compliment. A compliment is 2/15=0.1333. So, then p=1-0.1333=0.866?

Re: HW 4, Problem 2, Number 2

Taeho Kim
So, j=0 one time doing the formula and j=1 the other time doing the formula?
=> This is correct.

And p=1-A complement which is: p=1-0.9333=0.066 since A=14/15=0.933. Is all this correct?
=> I am confused this part. Are you claiming that Pr[A complement] is 0.9333?
If this is the addition of the number you got from the formulas, then you are right.

Re: HW 4, Problem 2, Number 2

Chelsi Whitely
Yes I was saying Pr[A compliment]=14/15=0.933

Re: HW 4, Problem 2, Number 2

Taeho Kim
Administrator
What are Pr[Y=0] and Pr[Y=1] through the formula?
Can you show me the result?

Re: HW 4, Problem 2, Number 2

Chelsi Whitely
Pr[Y=0]=   15!
              --------    (1)(1-0.933)^15-0 = 2.14550926E-7??
              0! (15-0)

Re: HW 4, Problem 2, Number 2

Taeho Kim
Administrator
The p was incorrect.

p is the individual success probability.
In this question success is high blood led level.

Then from the problem statement what is the probability that a child has a high blood led level?

Re: HW 4, Problem 2, Number 2

Chelsi Whitely
I put 1 for p because in the formula I did (0.933)^0 which equaled to 1. So, if that is wrong then I am still confused at how to get p.

Re: HW 4, Problem 2, Number 2

Taeho Kim
Administrator
Don't worry, we are about to reach there.

p is "the probability that a child has the high blood lead level" and the problem says:
In a certain population, 1 child in 9 has a high blood lead level

What do you think about p now?
Can you see it?

Re: HW 4, Problem 2, Number 2

Chelsi Whitely
Pr[Y=0]=   15!
              --------    (1)(1-0.111)^15-0 = 1.49E10??
              0! (15-0)

Is this right?

Re: HW 4, Problem 2, Number 2

Taeho Kim
Administrator
The formula is correct.
Check out the number one more time.

Re: HW 4, Problem 2, Number 2

Chelsi Whitely
I am stumped. I've tried like eight times to figure out what p is and I'm still not getting it.

Re: HW 4, Problem 2, Number 2

Taeho Kim
Administrator
Well, you gave me the right p.
Because I can see you plugged in the right number into the formula.
But my question was what is the calculated value from the formula?
It is nothing but (1-0.111)^15, right?
What is the value you obtain from the calculator?

Re: HW 4, Problem 2, Number 2

Chelsi Whitely
I got 0.171

Re: HW 4, Problem 2, Number 2

Taeho Kim
Administrator
Alright. Then similarly what is Pr[Y=1]?
If you add those two, Pr[Y=0] and Pr[Y=1],
then it is Pr[A complement].

Then Pr[A] is immediate.

Please go back to the STEPS again.
Hope you can see the reasoning now.

Re: HW 4, Problem 2, Number 2

Chelsi Whitely
I think I get it. Thank you for your help
12